spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Thursday, December 21, 2006

My Christmas Wish

Posted by: Hammer / 9:08 AM

My Christmas Wish this year is simple: will all the able-bodied men on my floor please avoid using the handicapped-accessible toilet? You wouldn't park in a handicapped parking spot just 'cause it's closer, would you? So why use the toilet that's designed for wheelchair accessibility? There are men on this floor who use wheelchairs for mobility. Why use the stall that includes a higher seat and handrails so people can get on and off easier? There are men on this floor who need those features.

I'd rather you didn't hit the button to open the door, either, but I'll settle for a small reduction in selfish behavior.

7 Comments:

What Bull****! It is Handicap Accessable, not Handicap Exclusive. How do you know that whenever the person who is using the facility went in had a choice? Maybe all the other stools were in use, and maybe the person had to go, and maybe unless you are a doctor and examined the person you don't know if he in fact had a legitimate need to use the higher stool.
As Abby would say, Quityerbitchen. And don't even think about lecturing me about handicaps.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 PM  

Can I lecture you on reading? I didn't say don't use the handicapped-accessible stall -- I said avoid using it. Big difference. If you don't need it and have a choice, don't use it.

By Blogger Hammer, at 1:04 PM  

Sen. Bill Frist (R-TN) viewed a video tape from the senate floor and was able to conclude that those men were all in fact perfectly heathy.

By Blogger Jambo, at 2:26 PM  

I didn't say don't use the handicapped-accessible stall -- I said avoid using it. Big difference.

I looked up "avoid" in three dictionaries, and I couldn't find a big difference. Or a small one.

By Blogger Joey de Vivre, at 2:58 PM  

I'm truly baffled. How can this be at all controversial? Avoid, shun, keep away from, eschew the handicapped accessible stall unless you need to use it. How hard is that?

If there's another stall you can use -- use it. Because you never know who else might need to use the stall.

By Blogger Hammer, at 9:35 AM  

That's not what your original post said.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM  

Well, gents, I appreciate the comments, but we're going to have to settle for disagreement yet again. I stand by my post, my comments, and my usage of the word "avoid". In my mind, "avoid" means you try not to do or use something. For example, I avoid driving on 35W. I've driven on 35W hundreds of times -- that's how I know to avoid it.

I think the contrast between "avoid" and "don't" is clear. Don't is a "never"; avoid is a "never, unless". Obviously, there's disagreement over my word choice. That's regrettable, but it happens.

By Blogger Hammer, at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Literary shortcomings
  • He was like, totally, the Dixie Chicks of his day
  • Harper's 7 legged deer
  • Ka-ching! Class action gold digging
  • You can't teach a Sneech
  • Some of god's children more equal than others
  • 30,000 "new" troops
  • U.S. military frees terrorists too dangerous for G...
  • Recent history of the Iraq War
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!