spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

More of Galloway's testimony

Posted by: Hammer / 3:45 PM

1:58 Galloway's opening statement:

"On the very first page of your document about me, you assert that I have had "many meetings" with Saddam Hussein. This is false. I have had 2 meetings with Saddam Hussein. Once in 1994 and once in August of 2002. By no stretch of the English language can that be described as many meetings with Saddam Hussein As a matter of fact I've met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times that Donald Rumsfeld met him."

2:01:14

In the same opening paragraph you assert that I was an outspoken supporter of the Hussein regime. This is false. I have brought along here a dossier. A dossier for all the members of your committee of statements by me as late -- as early, rather -- as the 15th of March, 1990. In which I condemn the Saddam Hussein dictatorship in the most withering terms. A stance I have taken since around about the time you were an anti-Vietnam War demonstrator. I was an opponent of Saddam Hussein when British and American governments and businessmen were selling him guns and gas.


Questioning by Smilin' Norm Coleman

2:16:30

Coleman: Mr. Zureikat was a significant contributor to Mariam's Appeal, is that correct?
Galloway: He was the second biggest contributor. The main contributor was Sheik Zayed, the ruler of United Arab Emirates which you've glossed over in your report because it's slightly embarrassing to you. And the third major contributor was the crown prince of Saudi Arabia which you've equally glossed over because it's embarrassing to you. But both of those individuals are your friends.

2:18:45

Coleman: He was chair of Mariam's Appeal in 2000...did he ever talk to you about his dealings in oil in Iraq?
Galloway: He did better than that. He talked to everybody. He talked to every English journalist who came through Baghdad...He was introduced to everyone as a major benefactor of the Mariam Appeal and as a businessman doing extensive business in Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East.
Coleman: I'm asking you specifically, in 2001 were you aware that he was doing oil deals with Iraq.
Galloway: I was aware that he was doing extensive business with Iraq, I did not know the details of it, it was not my business.
(cross talk)
I've checked your website, there are lots of contributors to your campaign funds I don't suppose you ask any of them how they made the money they give you.
Coleman: Certainly not at $600,000 American.

2:22:00

Coleman: So Mr. Galloway, you would have this committee believe that your designated representative for Mariam's Appeal, becomes the chair of Mariam's Appeal, was listed in Iraqi documents as obviously doing business oil deals with Iraq, that you never had a conversation with him until 2001 about whether he was doing oil business with Iraq?
Galloway: No, I'm doing better than that. I'm telling you that I knew he was doing a vast amount of business with Iraq. Much bigger, as I said a couple of answers ago, than any oil business he did. In the airport, he was the representative of some of the world's biggest companies in Iraq. He was an extremely wealthy business man doing very extensive business in Iraq. Not only did I know that, but I told everyone about it. I emblazoned it in our literature, on our website. Precisely so that people like you could not later credibly question my bona fides in that regard.


I want to let Galloway speak for himself, particularly as I grow increasingly concerned some of his statements which could be construed as anti-Semitic. However, Smilin' Norm is rattled or nervous as he starts the questioning. For all his Power Line-hyped attorney-ness, Coleman struggles right off the bat. This is supposed to be cross-examination, but Coleman has no control and is scoring no points.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • The Riddler is Dead
  • Smilin' Norm's UN-quisition: Galloway round up
  • Bush: Merely unimpressive or truly dismal?
  • Thou shalt not what now?
  • Galloway's statement
  • From Kansas to India
  • Dysfunctional Farmer Labor Party
  • Do high-tax states kill jobs?
  • Oil for Food: Galloway excused, politely
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!