spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Things I won't ask my family practitioner

Posted by: Hammer / 10:47 AM

Open letter to my family doctor: I promise not to ask.

The president of a group that promotes abstinence is condemning the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for its dismissal of abstinence-only education. In a recent update to its teen pregnancy policy, the pediatricians' organization asserted that adolescents need access to birth control and emergency contraception rather than exclusively abstinence-based intervention.

...Unruh advises parents to make inquiries and determine whether their pediatricians adhere to the view that abstaining from sex until marriage -- and faithfulness in marriage -- are the best ways to prevent unwanted pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted disease. She feels the AAP's policy changes stressing birth control and contraception, including emergency contraception like the so-called "morning-after pill," are unwise and irresponsible.

I've got two daughters. If ever they ask, I'll tell them the truth: I never had sex before I was married, I never had a drink until I turned 21, I don't know what marijuana smells like, and I've never touched myself in an impure manner.

Should they ever want a credible statement on these or similar issues, I'm perfectly comfortable with the professional medical advice they would receive from our family doctor, even though I haven't run her name through the GOP donor database to see if she might have impure political leanings.

Is this really where we are headed as society? Where we enforce religious doctrine on medical professionals? Of course, if Enid and Ethan Evangelical are only comfortable seeing a doctor who shares their religious beliefs, it doesn't affect me in the least. But supplanting rigorous scientific exploration with religious doctrine is a great and historical danger.

2 Comments:

Doctors who only agree with evangelicals don't believe in science, so I assume these would be PHD doctors, and not MDs. "Condolee...I mean DOCTOR Rice, does this look malignant to you?"

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:48 PM  

I'll add that to things I wouldn't ask the Secretary of State. Though I bet Madeline Albright could spot a melanoma.

By Blogger Hammer, at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Carville, Greenberg, Shrum: It's time to change
  • Vast majority supports Climate Stewardship Act
  • The columnist the NYT should have
  • More hope for the mainstream media?
  • Smilin' Norm's expiration date
  • Feith loses faith
  • Navy SEALs and county clerks
  • Wal-Mart's unemployable loosers
  • The whole truth from Rumsfeld
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!