spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Friday, October 14, 2005

Alright, ya big babies

Posted by: Jambo / 6:59 PM

OK, I'm going out on a limb here. Shakespeare's Sister asks her readers to name the movie scenes that make them cry. Asking for a similar list from the 3WN gang of cynics and tough guys may get me a good dose of ridicule, especially after I post my own list revealing that the guy who loves to slam KK in the most derogatory ways possible is actually a big sissy. No, I'm not making this into a poll, since as Jerjo has pointed out I have not yet posted the last one of those. But any way, here goes.

  • The scene near the end of The Royal Tennenbaums when Ben Stiller finally breaks: "I've had a rough year, Dad." "I know, Chazie." Crap, I'm choked up just typing it.
  • Now this is kind of strange, but the last scene of Scrooged when Bill Murray goes on live TV to tell everyone about the spirit of Christmas always gets me.
  • Bill Murray again in the Life Aquatic when they're in the submarine and everyone puts their hand on his shoulder.
  • Now I've never quite figured out this last one, but one of the last scenes in Cinema Paradiso kills me. When the boy, now middle aged and successful, comes back for the funeral of the old projectionist and finds he has left him a reel of film with all the scenes that have been cut out of the films at the direction of the local priest. Other scenes have made me choke up but this is the only one to ever make me sob and I'm still not sure why. I think I see it as the "boy" realizing all that he has missed in his life, an almost existential loss. I think it is the saddest film moment I have ever seen.

    9 Comments:

    CP has 2 movies that make him cry.

    1- Field of Dreams. Can't watch it. Dad and son playing catch. We end up with a box of kleenex the moment dad walks out on the field. Plus, we love baseball more than any non-family thing in the world.

    2- Glory. We can't even start this movie without crying. We know what's coming. They all die...together...knowing that they would die. We can't do it.

    cp

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 PM  

    I've already revealed some of these on the earlier movie threads, but here goes:

    "Die Wacht am Rhein" vs. "La Marseillaise" in Casablanca.

    Stones on the grave of Schindler.

    George Bailey decides to give up college to save the Building and Loan.

    George and Mary Bailey decide to give up their honeymoon to save the Building and Loan.

    Everyone in town saves the Building and Loan, and Harry Bailey calls his brother George the richest man in town.

    OK, OK, I'm a sucker for It's a Wonderful Life. Sue me.

    Pride of the Yankees: "Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

    Terms of Endearment: the Debra Winger deathbed scene with her two sons.

    Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Neal goes back to the train station to bring Del to his home for Thanksgiving dinner.

    The end of any Richard Gere movie, when I realize I'm never getting those two hours of my life back.

    By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 9:45 PM  

    Oh, Jambo, I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! I always cry at the end of Scrooged, too. It's a great movie. Now, I'm a big crybaby so I won't list them all, but one of my biggest weepers is The Color Purple. There are at least 4 scenes in that movie that make me break down.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 PM  

    Jambo, you have a strange affection for Bill Murray. I'm guessing you cry during the Masters/It's in the hole scene of Caddyshack.

    I'm so tough and hard that I never cry...except during the Prom episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Giles says something like "Who knew that children en masse could be so gracious?"

    By Blogger Hammer, at 6:02 PM  

    At the end of A River Runs Through It, when the author is talking about when his wife died, and then the camera moves closer and you see that he's aged about 20-30 years since the last scene. I just lose it at that scene; it's sad beyond words.

    By Blogger Tom Harper, at 1:32 AM  

    Jambo good call: That scene with Chaz and Royal in Royal Tennenbaums always gets me--it is just so simple and true to life in the way a son would break down and be honest with his father after something terrible happened. I think these simple displays of emotion are one of Wes Anderson's strengths.

    Some others:

    When Ricky--I think that's his name: anyway he is the football prospect--gets killed in Boyz in the Hood.

    This is a bit more obscure. At the end of the Thin Red Line when Private Whit--Jim Caviezel's character--is killed. Mallick doesn't show what actually happens to him--but it is assumedly terrible, seeing he is surrounded by a shitload of Japanese soldiers. This hits hard because Mallick does such a great job making you like Caviezel's character--his kindness, his peacefulness, his unwillingness to conform and follow his superior officer's orders. The ending here is a bit more subtle and honest, not as heavy handed as the ending in Private Ryan--which is similarly tear jerking, I have to admit.

    Field of Dreams. See above.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 AM  

    The Death of Theoden in Return of the King. When he gasps to Eowyn "I know your face" it just breaks my heart.

    And I surprised, shocked, and dismayed that no one, NO ONE, has mentioned Ol' Yeller. Or even Bill Murray mentioning Ol' Yeller in Stripes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 PM  

    I've now had several people tell me that they too get choked up at the end of Scrooged. I feel so much better now. I've never really understood why that gets me and I always thought I was just weird, so it is very nice to know that it's not just me. And the funny thing is that I don't think of myself as a particularly huge Bill Murray fan. While I am certainly a fan of some sort I think it is just a coincidence that several of his films made this list. I would be much more likely to call myself a huge Wes Anderson fan and two of his films are in this list too. I'm glad Juan agrees on the Royal Tennenbaums--that really is a great scene. All thru the film Chaz has tried so hard to hate his father and then finally just breaks. It's beautiful. And just when you get your sniffling under control there are Chaz and Royal in the ambulance together and you can start all over.

    By Blogger Jambo, at 12:52 PM  

    As an aside, I would also argue Royal Tennenbaums is Stiller's finest performance--he just nails the adult-son/father dynamic, a relationship that, universally, can be pretty weird and nuanced. Stiller certainly is more effective playing it somewhat straight, then he is playing all of these contrived, gimmicky, characters: Zoolander, Dodgeball, and so on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home
  • Blogroll

    Special Feeds

    Fun with Google

    Search Tools

    Technorati

    Google

    3WN WWW

    Prior posts

  • Idiot America
  • Imponderable
  • This is why it pays to follow the news
  • The two percent solution?
  • New England Patriots
  • Theistic evolution
  • Modern classics
  • Add it up
  • Another perspective
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!