spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Soul Asylum at 1st Ave.

Posted by: Jambo / 5:48 PM

Last year around this time Old Ben was lamenting that I had missed the annual Soul Asylum show at 1st Ave. and even wrote a review for all the other 3WN readers who missed out. This year he made sure I went by forcing a ticket on me, and I'm glad he did. I'm not nearly the SA fan that Old Ben is but I truly enjoyed the show. Good strong vocals and Michael Bland on drums made up for the fact that the guitars sounded a bit muddled to my aging ear. I don't have the background knowledge for a decent review but I do have the next best thing--a copy of a set list from the show. (If you have never gotten a set list before they are pretty cool to have. Each band member has one taped to the floor by their mic and you have to find a sympathetic roadie who will toss you one as they break down the stage but I always consider it a bit of a score when I get one.)

Tho it will likely appall Old Ben (and maybe Hammer too) the highlight of the show for me is there in the encore--their cover of "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure. Soul Asylum was big when I was first living in Minneapolis but I was always more of a Replacements, Suburbs, and Trip Shakespeare fan as far as local music was concerned. But I was also a big Cure fan so "Just Like Heaven" hit much closer to home than any of their originals did.

One last bit of Soul Asylum trivia. Back in 1993 they played at one of the inaugural balls for Bill Clinton. When I heard they were going to be playing I said to no one in particular "Wow, Dave Pirner finally made the big time." The Mrs. (not a big alt music fan) overheard me and said, "Dave Pirner, that's not Rose Pirner's bratty little brother is it?" I showed her a CD and she confirmed it was the same guy. Apparently she used to hang out with his older sister (maybe her name isn't really Rose, I don't remember) and he used to follow them around and bug them as little brothers are wont to do. She said he was quite the pest.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

I had a journalism professor at UM who knew Danny Murphy from hockey.

Was this Tommy's set list? I can't imagine Dave or Dan would need to know what key Closer to the Stars is in.

By Blogger Hammer, at 9:06 AM  

I think it was the bass player's, who was not Tommy Stinson by the way. Pirner may not need the key for "Closer to the Stars" but he did need the words to "Just Like Heaven". Along with the set list the roadie also handed me a couple pages with the full lyrics printed out in large type that had been on the floor by his mic.

By Blogger Jambo, at 5:56 PM  

I believe it was the setlist of the keyboard player, since only a few of the numbers have the key afterthem - and obviously, the first few numbers have no keyboards.

Also - they declined to play Bittersweetheart and Closer to the Stars, which are generally setlist staples.

I was also thinking that the lyrics page might not have been Pirner's - it was given to Jambo along with two pages of other partial lyrics, all of which, I think, are for changes in the various songs - which would be key for a bass player or keyboard player - and for someone singing background vocals...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 PM  

When did Soul Asylum pick up a keyboardist?

By Blogger Hammer, at 7:34 AM  

I think there are groups of them milling about in the Home Depot parking lot every morning. Dave Pirner drove by in his pick-up and hired one of them for the day.

By Blogger Jambo, at 11:32 AM  

I would have thought that Pirner would just saddle up his salamander, get up, get down, ride into town, and look around for a keyboardist.

By Blogger Hammer, at 11:41 AM  

wont.

yours very sincerely,

The Usage Nazi.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  

Noted. And corrected.

By Blogger Jambo, at 1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • What women could learn from Komodo dragons
  • My Christmas Wish
  • French soldiers are incorrect
  • Literary shortcomings
  • He was like, totally, the Dixie Chicks of his day
  • Harper's 7 legged deer
  • Ka-ching! Class action gold digging
  • You can't teach a Sneech
  • Some of god's children more equal than others
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!