spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Almost would have been worth watching

Posted by: Jambo / 6:13 PM

The last time I watched the Grammys I think Disco Duck won song of the year. I'm not sure the award has any higher status now than it did then but it almost would have been worth it to tune in Sunday to watch this live:

The Police were the second band, after the Beatles, that I really fell for. In high school I had a few friends that I hung around with that were all music fans to some degree. Music was a big part of day to day life but you couldn't say we were particularly astute listeners or that we were devoted to any particular sound. We pretty much listed to what was popular and seemed relatively cool, and of course we had to play it loud. I don't know how it happened, but one day I decided that The Police were the coolest band in the world while my friends suddenly decided that The Scorpions and ACDC were fighting for that title. Looking back that was clearly the beginning of the end of our friendship. We never disliked each other but it was pretty clear we were going in very different directions. The Police were my entry to a much hipper musical world of bands like the Clash and later REM while the Scorpions led to, well, I try not to think about it. In college a few years later I was giving one of my old pals a ride somewhere and had in an Echo and the Bunnymen tape. When he wondered "what the hell is this shit?" I knew it was all over. Years later I saw him at our 20th high school reunion and he was a bitter and broken man.

So, needless to say, I am very excited about this. It doesn't say if Minneapolis is one of the planned stops but I'll be making it a point to see them somewhere this summer. Even the Mrs. is excited about it and she is much less a music fan than I am. I just hope I can keep her from throwing her underwear up on stage if Sting looks in her direction. Da do do do, baby!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

How can you claim to be a music fan and say you like REM? I'd rather listen to Dan Wilson hit on my wife.

By Blogger Hammer, at 8:12 AM  

USA today states that a Minneapolis/St. Paul concert will be announced shortly.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-02-12-police-reunion_x.htm

And what was wrong w/ REM 10 years ago? I know what's wrong w/ REM now. It's the same thing that plagues the Red Hot Chili Peppers

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 AM  

BTW, Bob Mould on his blog, which Hammer mentioned in a post about a week ago, commented that Prince @ the Super Bowl was better than The Police at the Grammy's. I wouldn't know. I didn't bother to watch either of them. What's tell you about the state of music and music fandom today?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • The happiest phone calls on earth
  • Go, grashopper, go!
  • Isaiah Washington was institutionalized
  • Avowed, practicing homosexual clergy
  • Is the U.S. ready to vote for a female president?
  • Someone with more courage and dignity than our cur...
  • Sounds like Tim Johnson is doing well
  • Nothing to do with anything
  • We're number 1[69]!
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!