spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Friday, April 22, 2005

Open Source Friday: Why Does Anyone Do Anything?

Posted by: Hammer / 1:12 PM

I want to repost this item Monday, because it's about open source software at a church. Sort of.
Why does anyone use Internet Explorer?

Recently, our church made the switch to a new Web hosting service that offered us a database-driven site that we can keep updated through a Web interface. Strangely enough, the Web interface operates only under Internet Explorer, although it appears to be written in PHP. I've tried using the interface with both Firefox and Konqueror. It sort of works, but I need it to really work, so I'm stuck with IE. (Maybe that's why I'm the church's unofficial Web master.) After working with the world's most popular Web browser, I wonder why so many people put up with it.

Today was the first time that I put any serious effort into working on the new site, so it was also the first time in a long while that I had any face time with Internet Explorer version 6, the most current release. I logged into our Web interface and was immediately greeted with a popup ad that encouraged me to satisfy my urge for an attractive young lady by clicking on a button within the ad. Now I'm not that stupid, so I just clicked on the "X" to close the popup window altogether. Boy, was that the wrong thing to do. No sooner had I "closed" it than I had three more windows fighting for control of my desktop, offering me everything from advice on home mortgages to a flashing banner announcing that I had finally won a million dollars.

While scrambling to restore order to my system, I noticed a small icon on the bottom of the Internet Explorer screen. I passed my mouse over the icon and it proudly announced that "Internet Explorer has blocked a popup ad" or something to that effect. It had? What about the other three that I was fighting off at the moment? Apparently I must have wanted those to appear or it surely would've blocked them too, right? ...

Which leads me to ask: Do people actually use Internet Explorer? I simply cannot believe that the majority of the Web surfing public (62.2% according to a survey done at W3 Schools) has become so complacent as to accept this bombardment as normal. Although I didn't actually count them all, I am willing to bet that I was assaulted with no fewer than 20 popups in the 30 minutes that I spent using Internet Explorer -- with the popup blocker enabled and everything.

This is really what the Internet does best: Aggregating like-minded people into reinforcing one another's deeply held beliefs.

Firefox

The other non-IE browser has a new release:
Opera officials claim that the browser's tight coding and speedy rendering engine make it the fastest browser in the market for loading pages and displaying text. The browser also offers fast navigation features such as providing keyboard shortcuts and giving users the option of opening all of their favorite pages at once.

The browser includes a tabbed interface to give users rapid access to navigation features. It is also highly self-contained, with no need to download extensions to gain access to special features or enhancements, according to Opera officials

I guess it's the browser for people who don't like being able to check on Abe Vigoda's status. And being able to disable that feature when it gets boring.

Open Office

For personal use, I need a word processor and spreadsheet. I like AbiWord and Gnumeric, respectively. But the Open Source world is pushing Open Office. Open Office is huge -- in part because it has a lot of features, in part because it comes with translations for dozens of languages, and in part because it suffers from code bloat. But it's an office suite with Sun supporting it, so it has become the default for many open source desktops. Here's an article teaching you how to convert from Word to Writer. Here's an article saying that people don't contribute code to Open Office because Sun keeps the sole right to use all the contributed code. That doesn't sound very open source to me, but I guess it fits most people's definition.

Something nice about Apple

I planned to use this article bashing MS security and praising Apple as the most secure desktop enviroment, but somewhere in the middle the author goes off the tracks:
It's possible, however, to take both aging and software out of the comparison by looking at situations in which both groups use the same software on the latest hardware they can afford. Check out supercomputer performance data, for example, where everybody runs the same applications under Unix, and you'll see that a dual G5 Xserve at 2.3 GHz makes about twice the cluster contribution offered by dual Xeons at 3.2 GHz.
This is review of desktop PCs and he's looking at supercomputer performance to prove that Macs run faster than Windows machines? Dude, I'm not modeling cloud formation, I'm typing an angry letter to my cafeteria manager because she doesn't know the difference between whole grain and multi grain foods.

Important stuff very few people will ever care about

There's a new GCC on the loose. GCC is the Gnu Compiler Collection. A compiler is a program that turns this:

#include

int main()

{

printf("Hello, World.");

return -1;

}

Into an actual program you can run on your computer. It's a huge project that's been around for years. It's enormously valuable, yet given away for free, so pre-teen nerdlings can learn some computer skills without paying the better part of a thousand dollars for Microsoft's Visual Studio.

5 Comments:

So, on the side of complete information, you do not need to purchase Visual Studio to compile .NET code. Microsoft make the .NET Framework SDK freely available on its download site.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 PM  

.NET, sure, but does MS have a free C or C++ SDK? .NET is new and in competition with C# and Mono. MS can't afford to charge $800 for just that. I'd be surprised if there's another free C/C++ compiler for MS.

By Blogger Hammer, at 7:17 PM  

The .NET compiler is free regardless of what language you develop in. If you write .NET managed code in C++ you can compile it as a C++ Managed Extension application using the free compiler.

Microsoft has never distributed a compiler for C as far as I know in the last 10 years I have been working in IT.

While we are at it, I never have pop-ups in Internet Explorer with Service Pack 2 applied. And when was the last time an updated for IE trashed all of the plug-ins for the browser? Oh, that's right, never.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 PM  

Thanks, good information. I always forget the advantages to not updating a browser. Fixing security holes can be inconvenient.
If MS is giving away it's compiler for free under the .NET framework, what do you get that they charge $550 to $2500 for? Is that just the IDE?

By Blogger Hammer, at 7:23 AM  

Yep, it really is just and IDE. It comes with great tools for creating code. These tools make it so you can drag and drop objects onto the UI w/o having to code each piece.

While we are at it, C# is a language developed by Microsoft, so how can C# be in competition w/ Visual Studio?

And to my understanding Mono project brings the .NET framework to the Linux platform. It's the .NET framework, not an IDE, correct? If this is correct, then Mono is in competetion with the .NET framework, which is really just a component of the operating system.

As for developers, they should be excited about Mono. It allows them to take the code that they have written for the Microsoft platform and port it to Linux.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Swallowing spin
  • Who wants to try?
  • Style switch
  • Tearing down governments
  • Microsoft = The Suck
  • No whammy no whammy no whammy...STOP!
  • Missing the scandal
  • Paris & Nicole
  • Ending for Bolton
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!