spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo

Posted by: Jambo / 4:44 PM

Hitting the stores on DVD today, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

A Wes Anderson film about a marine biologist? Yeah, I will be purchasing that right away. I’m actually surprised I didn’t get around to pre-ordering it. And having spent a number of years working in the field I can assure you that the film is an actual, 100% accurate, true-to-life, spot-on depiction of how marine biology really works. Except for the pirates. And the helicopter. And the sauna on the boat. And the big money. And the exploited overworked interns. Oh wait, that last one IS real. Oh, and the part where Cate Blanchett complains that no one picked her up at the airport? That tends to happen too. (Sorry Rando.)

It has been my experience with Wes Anderson films (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums) that I like them quite a bit on first viewing and love them after subsequent viewings. (I have not been able to test this theory with Bottlerocket as I have only seen it once.) But the Life Aquatic I loved from the start so it will be interesting to see what reaction the DVD generates.

5 Comments:

Good tip! I've bumped it up in my Netflix queue.

By Blogger Hammer, at 11:22 AM  

Jambo, you forgot to mention how much you hate those f'n dolphins.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 AM  

But he loves wrestling them to the ocean floor wearing nothing but a Tarzan wrap and a (knife-clenching) smile. Just like the video game (Shark hunter?)

By Blogger Hammer, at 11:33 AM  

The game is Junge Hunt.

By Blogger Hammer, at 12:47 PM  

You know, I thought that was a pretty funny line in the film, even tho out of respect to my finned friends I probably should not have. I've never had a Tarzan wrap but I did wear a few pirate style bandanas on my head back in the 80s. Sans knife tho.

By Blogger Jambo, at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Failure of imagination
  • Freedom on the march. Or at least the stagger.
  • Oil for Food: The going gets weird
  • Who should own your next senator?
  • Chicken Little Republicans
  • More on (moron?) evolution
  • Rapture Monday: Shaky peace
  • Revolution 10
  • Just like us, but with slightly bigger names
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!