spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Friday, July 01, 2005

Light blogging today

Posted by: Hammer / 11:05 AM

Light blogging today. I'm working on the site redesign, doing some gardening, and (I hope) buying a DVD player that will lost longer than 9 months (I hope some more).

One word for my good friends at WROX publishing. In your book, Beginning CSS, you might want to clue folks into the notion that you can't start a user-defined selector with a number. Some crazy dude might want to name a selector "3WNPost", for example, and spent an hour trying to figure out why nothing is working. Bold-face type on that would be appreciated.

Also, your index sucks.

5 Comments:

This CSS book's getting good press. Stupid title, though.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 11:57 AM  

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can grab a copy from the library.

By Blogger Hammer, at 12:22 PM  

Hammer: I'm the editor for the book and I've passed on your comments to the author. Thanks for the feedback.

If you'd like to contact me at jimminatel@gmail.com with any more specific feedback about what sucks about the index, I'll pass it along to our indexing team so hopefully we can improve.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

I'm the author of the aforementioned "Beginning CSS" book.

The bit about starting a user-defined selector, e.g. class or id names with a number was an oversight on my part. Being a veteran PHP programmer, I've just always been used to the "you can't start variables, ids, classnames, etc with a number" rule, so it being second nature to me, mentioning it didn't even cross my mind.

I've heard your feedback though, and I will mention it in the 2nd edition, if and when there is one.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM  

Thanks both to Jim and Richard for their comments. I've been using the book a lot. If I gave the book a full & fair review, I'd give it high marks. As with most books, all the stuff that's easy to understand, easy to work with, and produces good results is quickly forgotten. It's the little annoyance that (probably) only affects me which I choose to mention.

If you like the new look, it's all been done with Richard York's book. If you don't like the new look, I'm probably the one to blame.

By Blogger Hammer, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Another third rate column by the Strib's resident ...
  • It feels like Friday
  • In defense of Oprah
  • Aha! Explaining away harm's way today
  • Subsidies upon subsidies
  • Think globally, infect locally
  • Look, if you have to write about her, can you at l...
  • The needle and the damage done (by those oh so mor...
  • Solution to Minnesota's budget impasse
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!