spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Survival of the un-fittest

Posted by: Jambo / 3:50 PM

Somewhere down the page (here, actually) Hammer, Joseph and cp are trading comments on W and his workouts. Shortly after reading their take on it I came across this in the Strib which takes a somewhat dimmer view of W and his exercise regime:

Am I the only person who finds this disturbing? I don't mean the fact that Bush would vet his selection for the highest court in the land in part on something utterly trivial. That's expected. What I mean is the fact that Bush has an obsession with exercise that borders on the creepy.
All I can add is the same comment I tossed into their thread: I'm reminded of an old Wall Street Journal TV commercial with a guy in a suit standing in an empty gym. "If you think physical fitness will help you get ahead in the world, just imagine what mental fitness will do."

6 Comments:

Gotta disagree with you on this one, Jambo. I think the Clinton/Parcells model of working 22 hours a day is more ego than accomplishment. Personally, at least, I feel far more productive and insightful when I balance sleep, exercise, work, and play. My job is not quite as important as leading the free world, but it has been mentioned on the Daily Show recently...

Bush does not seem to be intellectually curious or much of a reader, but that's the sort of common knowledge -- especially common press knowledge -- that I try to distrust.

By Blogger Hammer, at 8:32 AM  

I'm not saying he souldn't exercise, I'm just saying I wish he spent as much time trying to get smarter as he does trying to get his resting heart rate down. This was a man who just prior to invading Iraq didn't know that there was a difference between Sunnis and Shiites. Would a few extra hours with a book on the middle east have done the world a whole lot more good than a few hours on a mountain bike?

By Blogger Jambo, at 11:25 AM  

That story strikes me as apocryphal. How could your daddy be head of the CIA and vice president during two decades of Shia - Sunni violence and not know there's a centuries-old conflict between Shia and Sunni?

On the other hand, didn't a Bush official testify that there was no history of ethnic tension in Iraq? It's hard to know the truth.

By Blogger Hammer, at 11:56 AM  

That story strikes me as apocryphal.

Me too, but back in Jambo's pre-blogging days, he sent me an email about it with some sort of reference. I don't recall the details.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 12:11 PM  

I'm sure Jambo will run it down.

By Blogger Hammer, at 1:02 PM  

I'll see if I can dig it out at home. I don't remember exactly where I read it but it was a mainstream publication. NYT Magazine maybe.

By Blogger Jambo, at 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Will he make the flip flop official?
  • Smilin' Norm's worthless IOUs
  • Sponge Bob is back
  • Cable choice: not a bad idea
  • Larkin on insurance
  • Take that, terrorists
  • Good business and good politics
  • Saddest thing I can think of
  • Rapture Monday: Child Sex Instruction
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!