spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wake up calls

Posted by: Hammer / 1:09 PM

This is either the dumbest blog post in the history of 3WN or ... well, it's probably the dumbest.

I woke up this morning and realized I've lived my entire adult life by a code, a set of personal rules, which I've never actually thought about. They're just there, like natural law.

I suppose we all have our own codes, but I imagine (perhaps morbidly, perhaps egotistically) that my code is more rigid, more thorough, and more hidden than most.

2 Comments:

Not dumb at all. One of the things that I am preparing for the "new" site is an overview of positive statements about what I believe in. After looking over my site I realized that I really was just good at knocking people down. Why did I do this? Well, for the most part, I disagree with the people I go after. But why do I disagree with them? What do I stand for in opposition to the things I like to knock down?

After some soul searching, I decided to figure out my code. It is a tough thing to do. We take a lot of things for granted for why we believe certain things, and it is a tedious process to trace back an action or a thought to its moral origins.

It has turned out to be a lot tougher process than I thought it would be. I'm a pretty opinionated guy and I came to realize that a lot of my stronger emotional opinions were simply that; mostly emotion and not much thought. I think the hidden aspect of all of this is the underlying reasons of why we act like we do. These sort of things are interwoven and complicated. I've frequently started down one road only to end up somewhere else.

Oh well, I just thought I'd let you know its not all that dumb of a post ;)

cp

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

The soul wanted what it wanted. It had its own natural language. It sat unhappily on superstructures of explanation, poor bird, not knowing which way to fly.

Saul Bellow, Mr. Sammler's Planet

By Blogger Joey de Vivre, at 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Gay life expectancy
  • Minor issues, technicalities really
  • Unintended consequences
  • Good news/bad news
  • American Sharia
  • Sometimes you just know
  • More RightThink on Roberts
  • Senators go wild!
  • Academic freedom and censorship
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!