spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Just so D can make fun of me some more

Posted by: Jambo / 3:30 PM

I was at the Apple store in Roseville today getting some help with a software problem (yes Jerjo, even my beloved Mac has the occasional problem). They had to install an updated version of the OS and told me it would take a while so I wandered in and out of a few stores killing time. I went into Eddie Bauer and came across a rack of paisley shirts just as the store stereo was playing "Gloria" by U2. I got a big grin and thought "Holy shit, it's 1983 and I'm back in college!" I don't know quite what to think of the fact that clothing that was hip when I was in college has now come back (a second time), tho I take some small solace in the fact that a band I loved back then is now huge even tho you couldn't pay a radio station to play them at the time.

After "Gloria" they played "Time of the Season" by the Zombies and I like to think some guy looked at the shirts right after me and said, "Groovy man, it's 1968 and I'm back in college!"

13 Comments:

did they have parachute pants

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 PM  

Alas, they did not. Nor did they have really narrow ties or black sleeveless shirts with Japanese suns on them. No piano neckties either.

By Blogger Jambo, at 3:59 PM  

a band I loved back then is now huge

Remember the outrage one felt as a kid that one's favorite band wasn't the most popular, since it was so obviously the best band ever! Then when it became popular, the resentment for all of the fools that now liked them.

By Blogger Joey de Vivre, at 4:34 PM  

That's when you say, "Oh, I only like their early stuff."

By Blogger Jambo, at 6:05 PM  

Jambo, you're still saying that.

Christ, I used to have parachute pants. A narrow black leather tie that I wore with a pink and black shirt. And a Kevin Bacon-Footloose haircut.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

I only like their early stuff.

Anybody see Scorsese's No Direction Home: Bob Dylan the last couple of nights? All of those kids in 1965 screaming "Traitor!" and "Judas!"

Dylan, perplexed, wondering why they're all still buying tickets.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 9:18 AM  

If you used Linux, you could just do a yum -d 2 -y upgrade and that would've fixed the problem without a visit to the store.

By Blogger Hammer, at 10:17 AM  

yum -d 2 -y upgrade

Yeah, if you're a looser using an rpm-based distro...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

I change my own oil, but I don't refine it.

By Blogger Hammer, at 12:39 PM  

I change my own oil, but I don't refine it.

I know what you mean. I've run FreeBSD for years, and have on occasion done foolish things like build the entire OS (not just the kernel -- everything, from awk to yacc) from source.

That's bad enough, but don't ever, ever do this: build KDE from source on a 486. It's not pretty.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 3:16 PM  

I built most of GNOME from source on an early PIII because I just had to have some of the new features...not that I can remember which features I wanted, now. IIRC, it was right around the time of an ABI change in gcc, which f'd everything up.

By Blogger Hammer, at 3:23 PM  

Did you think of my purple sport coat you coveted? - Rusty

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 AM  

Actually, Rusty, I did because they had some for sale that were pretty similar. It really was quite a flashback. I even had to talk about it to a woman working there who looked about my age. She thouhgt it was pretty funny, too.

By Blogger Jambo, at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • More than meets the eye
  • John Kline: CATO cribbing
  • Upgrade your Firefox
  • Another Random 10. Now with 21st century songs!
  • Blow it up! Blow it up real good!
  • Afghan elections
  • The over the hill gang
  • Fire Tom Symkowski
  • Trade Favre?
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!