spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Monday, June 26, 2006

Burning bad sources

Posted by: Hammer / 2:29 PM

Atrios thinks journalists should expose sources who provide fake information:

Burning sources who mislead you just seems like a nobrainer to me. Aside from punshing someone who aided and abetted your screwup, it also sends a signal to other would-be bullshitters that their attempts may not be consequence free.

I think there's a time and a place for exposing anonymous sources who have abuse a reporter's confidence. I have no way to judge whether this would be a case. There's a big difference, though, between sources who lie, sources who puff, and sources who are mistaken. If a powerful source uses a newspaper to circulate a lie, then it might be appropriate to expose the identity of the source. On the other hand, if the source was puffing his own importance or was otherwise mistaken about a key fact, the journalist should always honor the commitment to the source. It's extremely difficult to distinguish lie from mistake, so for as much I'd like to know who's spreading bad information through the press, I understand that journalists do have to protect their sources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • I suck twice as much as I thought
  • Baghdad Curfew
  • Stupid scientists with their stupid facts
  • FRC hires Miranda on immigration
  • Spotty nails it
  • Blog history
  • I guess some Dick said no
  • Welcome to summer. I suppose I should have planne...
  • Another day, another triumph for the scientific me...
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!