spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Second acts in American life?

Posted by: Jambo / 12:41 PM

I don't know that I'm ready to jump on the Gore bandwagon just yet, but he has been getting some good press thanks to his recent movie. My favorite bit may have been Al Gore, fuck yeah! by the always restrained Rude Pundit. RP calls Gore "our Coriolanus" and I'll have to take his word on that one. In my second semester of Shakespeare at U of M we were required to write reports on 5 of the 6 assigned plays and Coriolanus was the one I took a pass on. I've thought for a while that Gore was more our Adlai Stevenson, a liberal intellectual with a self deprecating sense of humor who was loved by the elites but scoffed at by anti-intellectuals. (VP Nixon labeled him an egghead.) Stevenson also had one of the all-time great political quotes: after hearing him speak a man in the audience came up and told him "After that speech you will have the vote of every thinking American!" to which Stevenson replied, "That's not good enough, I need a majority." The only problem is that Stevenson lost his race for president. Twice. He was later UN ambassador for Kennedy, the type of job I could certainly see Gore end up in.

I'm undecided on whether Gore would be a good candidate in 2008 but I've always liked the guy (PMRC aside), even being one of the nerds who bought Earth in the Balance back when it came out in the late 80s. (I supported Bruce Babbit in '88, tho. At least I think I did. Maybe it was Gary Hart in 88 and Babbit in 92, those years kind of run together for me these days.) And is there anyone in the country, outside the Crazification factor, who doesn't think the nation, hell the world, would be better off had Gore taken the oath of office in 2001 instead of W?

But of course there's one more reason for me to like Al:

He also began presenting a slide-lecture version of the keynote presentation (not PowerPoint—he's a Mac man) that grew into An Inconvenient Truth.

Yeah, think different[ly].

1 Comments:

Maybe I can get Al Gore to teach me how to work that button.

By Blogger Hammer, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • T-Paw's time line
  • It's all about the Hamiltons
  • Does Barry Manilow know?
  • Flaming pants as far as the eye can see
  • While we were barbecuing
  • Not that anyone's in a mood to rehash this
  • Assumption of the risk, indeed
  • Go Canada!
  • Self-publishing: cool and cooler
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!