spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter and the nuclear tipped cruise missile

Posted by: Jambo / 10:56 PM

I'm leaving town tomorrow morning and just remembered this evening that there was a book I needed to pick up as a birthday present for someone I will see this weekend. I had meant to order it from Amazon last week and hoped Barnes and Nobel would have it or I would be out of luck. When I got to the store I saw a number of employees in costume and realized that tonight is the big night for the last Harry Potter book which stores are able to start selling at 12:01 tomorrow morning. After a young woman in a black wizard's cape and round glasses helped me find the mystery novel I was looking for I talked to her a little bit about the goings on. I'm not actually a fan of the series myself. I read the first one which I found enjoyable but not spectacular. Personally I much prefer the Series of Unfortunate Events books. When I mentioned that they must have several huge boxes of the book just waiting in storage to be put out at midnight I got what was obviously the canned (but pleasantly delivered) answer the employees must have been instructed to give: "I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of the books in the store at this time." I laughed out loud and told her my father had been the captain of a navy cruiser and always gave the same answer when asked about nuclear weapons, "I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons on this vessel." She found it as amusing as I did. If there is a need for people to be tight lipped about something I guess I would rather it be something as benign as a bunch of fantasy novels.

Update: My father now informs me that he never would have said "vessel". It was always a ship, as he claims a vessel is only something for holding liquid.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

re: Harry Potter vs. Lemony Snickett. Really? I've only read the first 2 1/2 Harry Potter books, but so far I find them vastly superior to the Snickett books. Those started off mildly amusing, but by the end it was a horrible death-march just to get through the end.

By Blogger Nerdie McSweatervest, at 9:32 AM  

I will keep that in mind as I have only read the first 6 Snicket books. So far they have all been pretty entertaining but I only read about two a year so maybe that helps them seem fresh. And of course you can read one in about an afternoon if you want.

I have enough friends who like Harry Potter that I am willing to give them another chance and may check out the second book one of these days.

By Blogger Jambo, at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Smilin' Norm Coleman: Filibusters Reed-Levin
  • Michael Vick: indicted
  • Coleman vindicated?
  • I wonder...Vitter's Ho v. Edwards' Hair
  • Smilin' Norm Coleman: Fundraising with Bush
  • Dirty Bombs & Netflix
  • A slow link day?
  • 1st, 28th ... whichever
  • Man-eating badgers
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!