spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

It is the first day, after all

Posted by: Jambo / 11:06 AM

THE SUMMER DAY

Who made the world?

Who made the swan, and the black bear?

Who made the grasshopper?

This grasshopper I mean

the one who has flung herself out of the grass,

the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,

who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down

who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.

Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.

Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down

into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,

how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,

which is what I have been doing all day.

Tell me, what else should I have done?

Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

--Mary Oliver

I'm not doing any of those things today - I am at work. I do have a window that opens, tho. Not something to scoff at in these days of climate controlled buildings. Thanks to my friend Kathy for sending the poem.

2 Comments:

enjoyed, thanks

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

I miss having summers off. I miss childhood adventures. And yet, while I had this sadness visit me, it made me think of something exciting, something that didn't occur to me as a child, and I love the way it is put in this quote:

Be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Mouth kissing
  • Rapture Monday -- What the autopsy revealed about ...
  • DSM FOIA
  • Miscegenation
  • Karl Mueller services announced
  • The big movie object list
  • But seriously folks
  • And they're sending the jobs to India
  • Jury of your peers
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!