spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Monday, August 01, 2005

So, are we screwed, or not?

Posted by: Jambo / 10:56 PM

I came across a couple interesting graphs from a recent Pew study. It was conducted back in December so maybe it has been making the rounds for a while but I have just seen it or the first time today. I'm never too surprised to find myself outside the mainstream, but man does this country have its head up its collective butt sometimes.

[Note: Pew breaks out Republicans, Independents, and Democrats into subcategories. The first three are Rs, the middle two Is and the last three Dems.] On the other hand on the whole healthcare question looks ripe for the picking by Democrats if they would just find the courage to do so. (I kind of hope Capt. Liberty stops by today to see these results.) So in answer to the "Are we screwed" question (we being me and my fellow liberals), it certainly looks that way on the Ten Commandments issue. (More than 3 to f'n 1!) Granted this is one of those things that may be a big philosophical issue but as a practical matter doesn't make a whole lot of difference one way or the other. I mean, does anyone really think that if we put up a couple thousand animatronic Moses' handing out stone tablets it would have even an ounce of effect? Other than making non-Christians and non-Jews uncomfortable?

The one that really surprises me is the evolution question tho. Holy crap, even liberals can't muster a majority to disapprove of something as backwards and embarrassing as creationism! Are the forces of superstition and mythology really that much more entrenched than the forces of reason and science? Sure looks that way.

Those government health insurance numbers are awfully reassuring tho--more than two to one in our favor. It is the one of the three that would have the most direct impact on people's lives and is a liberal issue writ large (we support it more than 10-1). It's not often that America backs us so strongly on one of OUR issues. Surely SOMEONE running for office in 2006 or 2008 is going to pick this one up, right? Right? Hillary, Wes, Howard, Amy, Patty? Someone?

Update: I should have included a link to the whole report (here it is) since there is a ton of interesting stuff in there and I have only brushed the surface in my post. I put the definition of Enterprisers in the comments since someone had asked about it but you can of course find the definitions for all the groups in the report. One interesting thing when looking at the different groups is that Liberals and Enterprisers are on opposite ends of the spectrum but at the same time both equally wealthy, with 41% of both groups having incomes over $75,000, and the best educated with 49% of Liberals and 45% of Enterprisers having college degrees. (Hmm, is there a connection there? And which way does it go?) But they are on the opposite ends when it comes to having children. Liberals being the group with the lowest percentage at 20% while Enterprisers have the highest percentage at 40%.

9 Comments:

even liberals can't muster a majority to disapprove of something as backwards and embarrassing as creationism!

Weird, isn't it? What is the deal with Americans, anyway? Reminds me of one of the funniest thing I ever heard about religion and politics. Michael Kinsley had heard some prominent Brit pol (I think Neil Kinnock) say, offhandedly, "Of course I'm an atheist," and it went unnoticed. Kinsley contrasted this with America, where a politician would rather burn in hell than admit he's an atheist.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 1:54 AM  

I don't get it, either. Taking the Bible to be literally true in all respects is more faith than I could ever muster.

By Blogger Hammer, at 7:34 AM  

Well, we've only been around about 5000 years, so give us some time to mature.
Seriously, it is unbelievable. But I don't hold much hope that the Democrats will do much with the health care issue. With all the things to complain about, they're spending their time criticizing Bush for working out so much. Give me a break. It didn't work for Reagan, and it won't work here.
The Senate Dems need to get a backbone.
Final comment: Ask your fellow fundamentalist who believes in the literal truth of the Bible if he/she has ever read Leviticus.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 AM  

"Enterprisers" is one of the ways that Pew breaks down self-identified Republicans. I think the definition would be more or less as you suggest.

I think the actual definition of an Enterpriser is someone who believes in unfettered free markets, except as it applies to his own business.

By Blogger Hammer, at 9:36 AM  

Leviticus was all right by me. All that entrails stuff -- I can't get enough. But when I got to 18:16, "You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife," well, you lost me. She is hot.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 AM  

I'm glad I was not drinking milk when I read that last comment--it would have come out my nose.

Here is the Pew definition of Enterprisers: "The three GOP groups are highly diverse, and this is reflected in their values. The staunchly conservative Enterprisers have perhaps the most consistent ideological profile of any group in the typology. They are highly patriotic and strongly pro-business, oppose social welfare and overwhelmingly support an assertive foreign policy. This group is largely white, well-educated, affluent and male more than three-quarters are men. "

As we have seen from the current administration being pro-business is not at all the same thing as being pro-free market, or even having a very good understanding how the free market works. I think I could take apart a number of Bush programs using nothing but direct quotes from Wealth of Nations. And as I've said here before I am willing to bet that in the next few years some of the biggest proponents of national health insurance are going to be CEOs of major US companies. I think the CEO of GM is 95% of the way to calling for it now.

By Blogger Jambo, at 11:36 AM  

Kinsley contrasted this with America, where a politician would rather burn in hell than admit he's an atheist.

He might as well have said "would rather be elected that admit he's an atheist." There are openly gay members of congress and I have no doubt we will see (maybe soon) a female president, a Jewish president, a black president, and maybe even a gay president. But I can't imagine an openly atheist person holding national office any time soon.

By Blogger Jambo, at 11:41 AM  

I have added an update to the original post to include a link to the full report which is pretty long but has a ton of interesting stuff in it.

By Blogger Jambo, at 12:04 PM  

The difference between Enterprisers and Liberals is that the Enterprisers didn't have to work to put themselves through college.

By Blogger Hammer, at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Tancredo v. Fonda
  • Fun for the whole family
  • Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cliche
  • Every bit as funny as Kersten
  • Real ownership society
  • Smilin' Norm's ass handed to me
  • Quick, Dirty & Late: Mean Girls
  • Autumn Beer Review
  • Patio door
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!