spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Friday, October 07, 2005

Buy this

Posted by: Jambo / 4:45 PM

We don't normally make product recommendations here at 3WN. In fact I don't know that have ever encouraged anyone to buy any particular item, other than an implied message that one should only be using Apple computers, or in the alternative, be using open source software. (I'm not revealing which of us advocates which. If you don't know you're not paying attention.) But it is now time to make an exception. This should be on your bookshelf by December 26th at the very latest. I'm a big comics fan and it is the one section of the paper I try to never miss. Even the crappy strips, and lord knows there are more of them than any other kind. I really miss Bloom County and the Far Side but Calvin and Hobbs is in a class by itself. The prospect of having every strip from its ten year run in one complete set is very exciting.

I grew up reading Peanuts and while I was poking around Amazon last night (that's were I stumbled upon the new Calvin and Hobbs collection) I saw that a company is releasing a complete collection of that strip as well, including quite a few strips from the early years that have not been seen since they originally appeared. It looks like they are releasing about 4 years worth of strips each year for the next 12 years or so. That will be quite an investment but worth it I think, even tho some of the later years don't really have the appeal of the early stuff. It's one of those things that any serious fan of the medium needs to have. Peanuts was the Beatles and Elvis combined of the comic strip world.

9 Comments:

I just got the first two volumes for my Dad. He often talked of Peanuts strips in his sermons. Those first years were pretty good, but a few years later when Schulz hit his stride, it was really something. It's interesting that you mention Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes both. I always though that Linus was an obvious antecedent of Calvin.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 12:43 AM  

Hmm, where I have read about this on 3WN before?

By Blogger Hammer, at 7:16 AM  

please dont touch my charlie browns.

hammer's charlie browns and linus got scissor kicked last thursday on the football field.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

Oh sure, sneak in a comics post when I am out of town!

By Blogger Jambo, at 10:23 PM  

You can expect my post on why you all should by the Calvin and Hobbs collection in a few weeks. It seems like the thing to do.

LMB

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

Yeah? I'll believe it when I see it.

By Blogger Jambo, at 10:21 AM  

I certainly agree that C&H is in a class by itself, and the set will be on my Christmas list for sure. Peanuts, on the other hand, is the most overrated and overexposed comic there ever was (with the possible exception of Beetle Bailey.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 AM  

Peanuts, on the other hand, is the most overrated and overexposed comic there ever was

Most overexposed? Probably. Most overrated? Not even close. Get your hands on some of the strips from the mid-fifties through around 1970. I still liked the strip all the way through the end, but it bacame a pale shadow of what it had been.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 3:43 PM  

Maybe that's the problem with it. It was good until 30 years ago. Why, then, is it still around? Beetle Bailey and Dennis the Menace and so many other strips have not had an original thought in years. Same old same old ad infinitum, ad nauseum. So why do they hang around? Quit while you're on top.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Dead-enders club
  • It's what (blank) would've wanted me to do
  • Shaking the boxes
  • Natural male enhancement
  • LotR musical?
  • Honor, dignity, indictments
  • Equal opportunity religion bashing?
  • I had my suspicions
  • Blogs I like
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!