spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Marketing The Truth

Posted by: Jambo / 3:52 PM

Al Franken has a new book out and Amazon.com has let him put together a little promo video for it. You can watch it here. (Scroll down to Editorial Reviews.) That link is my lame excuse to note that I got to meet Al a couple weeks ago at a fund raiser St. Paul mayoral candidate Chris Coleman. He was quite nice and seemed exactly like the guy you would expect him to be. And in one of my proudest moments of late I was able to make a professional comedian laugh. I talked to him very briefly and suggested that instead of running for the senate he could find a tall skinny running mate and they could be the presidential ticket that weighs the same. OK, maybe not funny to most 3WN readers but Al laughed pretty hard since it was a reference to an old SNL routine he did with Tom Davis when they billed themselves as "The Comedy Team That Weighs the Same." Thank you, I'll be here all week!

4 Comments:

Actually (according to Al, anyway), they did that bit only once, and it was on Letterman.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 10:00 PM  

I should know better than to doubt you by now, but do you have a citation on that? I remember seeing that bit and I ahve pretty strong memories of seeing the Frankin and Davis Show in that last half hour of the old SNL. But now that you mention it, it does sound more like a bit theywould do somewhere else. I'll do some checking.

By Blogger Jambo, at 10:21 PM  

OK, that was quick. I just found a clip of Franken talking about it on Letterman on the 20th, and you are right about the time they did it--it was Letterman, not SNL. But now the thing that blows me away is that I told him my joke on the 15th and here he is talking about it on the 20th! Can that really be jsut a coincidence or did I put the idea in his head? Or at least move it from the back to the front?

By Blogger Jambo, at 10:40 PM  

That's the only reason I knew -- I happened to catch Letterman last week. I also remember the original bit, which must have been from around 1985.

My favorite Franken and Davis routine from that era was the one where they appear on stage and Al has a large bandage on his head. Tom explains that he had massive head trauma (or something), but was determined to soldier on with the act, even though he was suffering bouts of disorientation. They start out with an oldie:

Al: Did you hear about the Rabbi who didn't charge fees for circumcisions?

Tom: Oh?

Al: He only took tips.

Then they launched into a series of jokes, but each time, just as Al was to deliver the punchline, he'd get confused and say "He only took tips."

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Surprisingly, still operative
  • Smilin' Norm: Waffle master
  • Oh, fer fun: Sex is only incidental
  • I don't understand how
  • Wal-Mart
  • Soul Asylum
  • Plame: press conference tomorrow?
  • Dick Duban
  • Iraq constitution: it's now kinda, sorta official
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!