spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Mpls Mayor

Posted by: Jambo / 3:16 PM

Hammer wondered last week if I would have something to say about the Minneapolis Mayor's race. I think the Strib got it almost exactly right last Sunday when they endorsed Rybak and I'll stand by what I said back at the time of the city convention. I'm still mad at McLaughlin for making us all waste a lot of time and money on a race that didn't need to be contested. He really does seem to be running partially out of spite over Rybak's defeat of Belton four years ago and also because he thinks Rybak somehow robbed him of his place in line. I think this is a pretty clear case of old guard resentment over new faces and new style politics. I have no problem with McLaughin's policies but I really think the future of Democratic politics not just in Minnesota but in the nation as a whole is with a new generation of candidates like Rybak and guys like Barack Obama and Paul Hacket. (And it's not about ideology--I would describe those three as liberal, moderate and conservative Democrats respectively.) For too long the party has been about who has paid their dues rather than who is a compelling candidate. Peter is former and R.T. is the latter. I predict that Rybak will win it fairly easily, maybe in the 58-42 range.

Closer to home, my home at least, I would be remiss if I did not mention my favorite city council candidate, Ralph Remington. Here is another guy who is very compelling and should go far.

3 Comments:

as a south mpls resident, i couldn't agree with you more. we really think rt does an excellent job and we are kind of baffled that he is getting challenged by pm. hopefully, rt will win. primarily because our rt sign has been vandalized 2 times by some overzealous pm supporters.

anywho, do you think rt got a call from amy klobuchar concerning his debate comments about hennepin county's revolving crime door?

cp

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM  

I heard very little of the last debate so I missed that comment. What did he say? I assume that he and AK are on pretty good terms since hte last time I saw her was at an RT fundraiser.

By Blogger Jambo, at 10:17 PM  

pm did his typical quasi-republican fear thing by saying that mpls is full of crime and rt responded by saying that over 70% of the murders in mpls come from folks paroled by hennepin cty.

i have seen them together a few times as well. however, i imagine she couldn't have been too happy about blaming the cty for crime problems.

cp

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Best job ever
  • Stop letting Wal-Mart run the Labor Department
  • Democratic base
  • Alito: preliminary round up
  • UN to Gitmo
  • Smilin' Norm v. Gorgeous George Galloway: Round 2
  • Wellstone memorial, still spinning after all these...
  • Smilin' Norm: The UN is kinda, sorta, a bit like t...
  • Too far with a fair point
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!