spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Stop the music!

Posted by: Jambo / 2:15 PM

Here's an odd question I have had for quite some time. I don't really expect that I will get a good answer but here it is anyway. Why do the credits at the end of movies generally have everything in a single column until they get down to the music credits? I don't know about anyone else but I'm the type who sits thru all the credits and I usually have only two areas that I'm really interested in, the actors and the music. Sometimes I might want to see where movie was filmed if it has particularly interesting scenery or maybe a producer or writer or two but mainly it's just the stars and the music. But why do they have to make the song credits go by twice as fast as everything else by switching them to two columns? The caterers, grips, gaffers, hairstylists et al. creep by in single file but as soon as they get to music, the only "secondary" credits that I'm guessing anyone wants to see, they go to double columns so I find myself frantically trying to scan them all before they slide off the top. It makes no sense. The beauty of DVDs is that you can pause them and actually read the whole list for a change, something you couldn't often do with VHS since the picture quality was so poor on a freeze frame. Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

3 Comments:

Yes, this is your problem. Your old eyes and neck cannot master scanning two columns of text? Old cranky baby boomers cannot get it done.

Seriously, it is an issue, particularly if you are looking for a few tracks in a movie that uses a lot of music. You may be able to find that info on the internet, but not always.

Fortunately, most mainstream movies only use the same half dozen songs, James Brown's "I Feel Good" being the most popular (or at least the only one I can think of).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:05 PM  

As I typed up this post I knew that one of the first comments would come from D and would feature a series of age jokes. I'm glad to see that the desire to make up for several months of blank space on his own blog did not prevent him from stopping by here. But I'm glad he does admit that he is bothered by it too. It is especially a pain in films like a typical Wes Anderson movie that has tons of music you want to hear again but not all of which might end up on a soundtrack CD. Other times you might not want to own the song but just want to know who is doing a particular cover of an old favorite.

By Blogger Jambo, at 4:00 PM  

I'm a credit-reader, too, and like you I find that the music credis are the most likely to require the pause button.

I'll bet you a dollar it's some union rule.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • I'm sure loud and fast ruled
  • New Gervais
  • Priorities
  • Mike, Mike, Mike
  • Frozen cave man lawyers
  • Some more ass-holes
  • Not pro-life, just anti-sex
  • On Beyond Zebra?
  • Even a stopped clock?
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!