spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What's on the victrola here at 3WN headquarters

Posted by: Jambo / 4:18 PM

Just as a fun exercise I decided to put together a quick list of songs I like and talked Hammer and Libby Mae into doing the same. The object was to come up with 15 songs you really enjoy: 5 that are pretty obvious choices, 5 that are somewhat obscure, and 5 that are embarrassing to admit to liking. If we did the lists again next week most of them might be different (except for Hammer who knows what he likes and is sticking with it) but this is what we came up with today. I'm thinking of sending the list to some other bloggers and getting them to do their own versions and then in turn pass the torch to someone they know. (Maybe I'll start with the good folks over at Power Liberal.) Anyway, here are our choices:

Jambo

5 great songs: obvious

  • Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone - From the rifle shot that starts it to the very end this is a perfect rock and roll song. In about a 25 way tie for best song ever.
  • Stevie Wonder, I was made to Love Her
  • REM, Talk About the Passion (maybe not THAT obvious, I guess)
  • Big Star, September Gurls
  • Bruce Springsteen, Rosalita - If listening to this song does not make you happy I'm not sure I can hang out with you

    5 great songs: not so obvious

  • Neko Case, I Wish I Was the Moon
  • The Beatles, Old Brown Shoe - Maybe by definition nothing by the Beatles is obscure, but this is one that doesn't get a lot of play
  • Theviery Corporation, The Heart's a Lonely Hunter
  • Richard Thompson, 1952 Vincent Black Lightning - If there is a prettier song from the last 20 years I don't know what it is
  • The Jam, Town Called Malice - If you can sit still while listening to this, again, I'm not sure I can hang out with you

    5 songs I'm embarrassed to admit I really enjoy

  • Elton John, Bennie and the Jets - sure he's kind of a self parody now, but there was a day when NO ONE was cooler than Elton John
  • Gordon Lightfoot, Sundown - Shut up! I like this!
  • Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama - This is one of the most over played songs there is and I am firmly in the Neil Young camp, but damn this is a catchy tune
  • Enya, Orinoco Flow - Yeah, I know. Bite me.
  • Ivy, I'm Digging Your Scene - Hey, I like me some pop, so shoot me!

    Hammer

    Objectively great songs everyone knows

  • Can't Hardly Wait, Replacements
  • Closer to the Stars, Soul Asylum
  • I'm In Love With a Girl, Big Star
  • Romeo and Juliet, Dire Straits
  • Run's House, Run DMC

    Objectively great songs not many people know

  • Halby Learns Guitar, Coolhand Band
  • City Lights, Dylan Hicks
  • Whatever Happened to Lorraine?, Superhopper
  • History of the Concept of the Soul, Mr. T Experience
  • Reception, Trip Shakespeare

    Songs I'm embarrassed to like

  • Lawyers in Love, Jackson Browne
  • (Livin' In) A Land Down Under, Men at Work
  • Walkin' On Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves
  • Santa Baby, Madonna
  • Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice

    Libby Mae

    Really, Truly, I-Will-Challenge-Anyone-Who-Disagrees-To-A-Streetfight Good songs:

  • What Is Life, George Harrison
  • If I Had a Boat, Lyle Lovett
  • Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah
  • For Once in My Life, Stevie Wonder
  • You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (When You Go), Bob Dylan

    Songs I Really Like:

  • Rickie Lee Jones' version of I Won't Grow Up
  • The Unforgettable Fire, U2
  • Until You Came Along, Golden Smog
  • The Late Greats, Wilco
  • Neko Case's version of Buckets of Rain

    Songs I'm Embarassed to Like:

  • Goodbye Stranger, Supertramp
  • Xanadu (pretty much the entire soundtrack, but if pressed, I will choose the title song as a favorite)
  • Hold Me Now, Thompson Twins
  • You Got to Me, Neil Diamond
  • Cowboys and Angels, George Michael.

    (As with many of my favorite photos the one at the top was stolen from TBogg.)

    19 Comments:

    Five obvious:
    Bad, U2
    Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon & Garfunkel
    Washing of the Water, Peter Gabriel
    Something I Can Never Have, Nine Inch Nails
    Feelin' This, Blink 182

    Five Less Obvious:
    Whatsername, Green Day
    God Shuffled His Feet, Crash Test Dummies
    I Will Survive, Cake
    Mary, Scissor Sisters
    Every Which Way That I Can, Louis XIV

    Five that embarrass me:
    Cowboy Take Me Away, Dixie Chicks
    All That I Want, Lightning Seeds
    Breakfast at Tiffany's, Deep Blue Something
    Complicated, Avril Lavigne
    Not Gonna Get Us, t.A.T.u.

    -Swiss

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 PM  

    5 that never change
    sweet jane- velvet underground
    ring of fire
    bela legosi's dead
    how soon is now?
    fascination street

    5 less frequent cravings
    jane says-
    bitchin' camaro-
    uninvited
    nothing compares 2 u
    personal jesus
    5 that make me giggle when they get stuck in my head
    the barbie song by aqua
    begin the beguine-rem
    girls- beastie boys
    nimrod's son or UMASS- pixies
    caterpillar

    i had to change the catergories... hard enough limiting myself to 5 in each... and i thought of other lists- and i'm not sharing them.
    it's educational...
    m

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 PM  

    I read this post, then headed for the supermarket. What was playing but Lightfoot's Sundown. I kinda like that one, too.

    I'm having a hard time not picking Dylan songs for the first 11. The embarassing one? Lay Lady Lay.

    Five obvious:
    Mississippi Goddam, Nina Simone
    Living For The City, Stevie Wonder
    I've Got You Under My Skin, Frank Sinatra (the 1956 recording. A great Cole Porter song, killer Nelson Riddle charts, Frank at his peak, and to top it off, a fantastic 'bone solo.)
    Revolution, the Beatles
    Mr. Tambourine Man, Bob Dylan

    Five less obvious:
    Tramp The Dirt Down, Elvis Costello. Apparently he's not a Thatcher fan...
    Tomorrow is a Long Time, Bob Dylan
    All Her Favorite Fruit, Camper Van Beethoven
    Ebo Walker, the Dillards
    Train In Vain, Dwight Yoakam. Yeah, it's a Clash cover.

    Embarassing:
    Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry
    Do I Do, Stevie Wonder.
    I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor
    Run To You, Brian Adams. Did I say that out loud?
    Let Me Be There, Olivia Newton John

    By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 11:17 PM  

    Hey Hammer--Love that you gave the Mr. T Experience some "props" Dr. Frank, the singer for MTX, has a novel out called King Dork, and I guess it is supposed to be pretty good, but is maybe geared toward the younger adult crowd. Sorry, can't think of any songs right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 AM  

    5 Great Songs: Obvious

    "Train in Vain" The Clash
    "Atlantic City" Bruce Springsteen
    "Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio" The Ramones
    "Waiting Room" Fugazi
    "Night Swimming" REM

    5 Great Songs, for those who want to dig a little deeper.

    "Buggin" Flaming Lips
    "Summer Babe" Pavement
    "Jinx Removing" Jawbreaker
    "Dirty Boots" Sonic Youth
    "Hybrid Moments" Misfits

    Embarassing to like these, maybe--but I am not really embarassed

    "Seasons in the Abyss" Slayer
    "I Remember You" Skid Row
    "Poison Ivy" Faster Pussycat
    "What's My Age Again" Blink 182
    "Boys of Summer" Don Henley

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:52 AM  

    U2, another Olivia Newton John tune, Dwight Yoakam, Nina Simone... I like TWN readers.

    If Jambo had asked for six "embarrassed to like" songs, Boys of Summer would have been on my list too.

    By Blogger ben. for reals., at 9:00 AM  

    I can't decide whether I should be embarassed or not that I like some Blink 182.

    By Blogger Hammer, at 9:01 AM  

    Sorry Hammer, I swear I didn't write "TWN" to annoy you. It just came out.

    By Blogger ben. for reals., at 9:02 AM  

    Here is the thing with Blink 182: Their sound and subject matter is similar to non-embarassing bands like Mr T Experience, and other pop punk bands; but to me it is their teenybopper fan base that makes them seem somewhat embarassing for a 30 year old guy to like. But I might be wrong.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 AM  

    I think you nailed it, Monostereo. They covered Another Girl, Another Planet to try to fool me. It's okay for me to like Blink 182, but I've got to keep it to myself.

    By Blogger Hammer, at 9:54 AM  

    This should get me a ranting email from Jambo:

    5 Obvious:
    If I Should Fall Behind - Bruce Springsteen
    Moonlight Mile - The Rolling Stones
    Even Less - Porcupine Tree
    Limelight - Rush
    When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

    5 Not-so-obvious:
    South of I-10 - Sonny Landreth
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else - The Kinks
    Mutineer - Warren Zevon
    Seven Angels - Free
    Blood on the Rooftops - Genesis

    Five embarrassments:
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer - The Beatles
    Telegram - Nazareth
    Light in the Black - Rainbow
    Start Me Up - The Folksmen
    Siberian Khatru - Yes

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM  

    Jerjo -- that Folksmen tune is a classic. So much better than the original.

    By Blogger Hammer, at 11:24 AM  

    The Folksmen tune IS great, but you can't say it's better than the original since the only reason it's so much fun is because it's so far removed from the Stones version. Absent the original it's a pretty ordinary song.

    I knew Jerjo would pile on the prog rock so I had braced myself.

    By Blogger Jambo, at 11:40 AM  

    Wow, there's a lot of cool stuff in these lists. I could make a new one of my own just from the songs in there I had forgotten about.

    Sweet Jane is one I can't believe I didn't think of. I think it's funny that M starts the nex tlist with Jane Says since I always figured that was written in responce to the Velvet's Candy Says and Stephanie Says. There might have been a 3rd "x" Says song they did as well.

    Stevie Wonder! Who knew? I was pleased to see a couple other people put him on their list.

    Just for political reason I would never be embarrassed to listen to the Dixie Chicks.

    Fox on the Run! I'm in 6th grade at the roller rink any time I hear that.

    Glad to see Jason and the Scorchers are not completely forgotten. Same with Zevon, who gets a lot less credit than he deserves I think.

    I agree with Boys of Summer, too. That's a great song that even tho you have to defend liking it you shouldn't be embarrassed by.

    Train in Vain almost made my list as well.

    By Blogger Jambo, at 12:00 PM  

    5 songs that make me happy:

    Welcome to Paradise - Green Day
    Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    Excuse Me Mr. - No Doubt
    Wheels - Cake
    So What'cha Want - The Beastie Boys

    5 less known:
    Get Your Hands off of my Woman - The Darkness
    Fresh Invention - Hanz Erik and the Hims
    Don't Worry - Dylan Hicks
    Never Did No Wanderin' - The Folksmen
    Exquisite Corpse - Hedwig and the Angry Inch

    Embarassments:
    Rio - Duran Duran
    Survivor - Destiny's Child
    Low Rider - War
    Too Shy - Kagagoogoo
    Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

    It's my game so I get to do another list. So does anyone else for that matter.

    Obvious:

    Born to Run (in high school a friend made a whole 90min tape with just this song on it)
    Sympathy for the Devil (I never get tired of this)
    Kate Bush, Running Up That Hill
    David Bowie, Rebel Rebel
    The Faces, Ooh La La

    Not:

    Nick Drake, One of These Things First
    Echo and the Bunnymen, Rescue
    Gang of Four, Armalite Rifle
    Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
    Beth Orton, Central Reservation (Ben Watt mix)

    Embarrassed:

    Duran Duran, Girls on Film
    Blue Nile, Downtown Lights (I don't know why I'm embarrassed to like the Blue Nile but for some reason I just never mention them in public)
    ELO, Do Ya (If this really embarrassed me I probably wouldn't play it so darn loud)
    Spirit of the Radio
    Anything else Jerjo likes

    By Blogger Jambo, at 12:30 PM  

    Jambo, have you heard the Faces box? I got it for Christmas. Contributors to the liner notes include Paul Westerberg. It is just sublime. They have a live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" that just shreds Mac's original.

    Here's a blasphemous notion. I prefer the Mott the Hoople cover of Sweet Jane.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 PM  

    obvious:
    Proud Mary, CCR
    Freddie Freeloader, Miles Davis
    My Generation, The Who
    Folsom Prison Blues, Johnny Cash
    Back On The Chain Gang, The Pretenders

    Hmm. I'm two lists in, and all of my "obvious" picks are between 24 and 50 years old. I'm just not hep to what the kids are listening to.

    less obvious:
    Get Off This, Cracker
    Crazy About The La La La, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
    Doors Of Your Heart, The Beat
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Black Uhuru
    Too Much Too Young, The Specials

    embarassing:
    Top Of The World, The Carpenters
    More Than a Feeling, Boston
    Get Down Tonight, KC and the Sunshine Band
    Lucille, Kenny Rogers
    Take A Chance On Me, Abba

    By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 8:04 AM  

    here are 5 i'm embarassed to acknowlege as favorites-
    I want to know what you're thinking (pure energy) by information society
    sun is coming to the cold places
    fascinating new thing
    stand- REM
    Friday i'm in love

    5 i love that redeem me
    stand- sly and the family stone
    head on- jesus and mary chain
    angels want to wear my red shoes
    dancing barefoot-u2
    ice cream man

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home
  • Blogroll

    Special Feeds

    Fun with Google

    Search Tools

    Technorati

    Google

    3WN WWW

    Prior posts

  • Good times
  • Early phrase of the week
  • Is this how small children feel when their parents...
  • John Kline's environmental lipstick
  • SCIFRI 4: Not much to say
  • Line of the day
  • Funny you should mention that
  • Liberal blogging's big dog
  • Spanish songs
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!