spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

SNL 7, Simpsons 1

Posted by: Hammer / 8:19 AM

TV Land is going to produce a special on TV catch phrases. Saturday Night Live has 7 entries. Seinfeld has 2. The Simpsons -- the greatest repository for catch phrases in the known universe -- gets 1. A big Nelson Muntz "Ha-ha" goes out to whoever thought "Suit up" from "How I Met Your Mother" should be immortalized ahead of oh, say:

And the rest. But how to sum up? Oh, yeah: worst list ever.

5 Comments:

For me, most of these aren't catchphrases. By their own description, the catchphrase has to become part of popular culture. To me that means I have to use the phrase in conversation with peers around the watercooler. I don't think any of my peers have ever uttered such gems as "Book em Danno," "Denny Crane," Smile, your on Candid Camera," "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids," or half of these in the 2nd half of the list.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  

How about "Engage" and "Make it so" as spoken by Picard?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

Oh geeze, that is an awful list. I'm sorry, televised political speeches don't count. Does anyone think of Kennedy's "Ask not...." and say, wow, what a great moment of television? Yes it's a great phrase and it was on television but that doesn't make it a TV catch phrase.

And as for "real" TV shows, I agree with Hammer, the Simpsons alone could fill up the list. And where are such obvious ones as "Beam me up" and "Missed it by that much"? I guess I can see not including "Hey Lou" even tho it meets Ba Ha Ha's standard since I used to always greet my friend LouAnn with that phrase in my best Ted Baxter voice. And maybe it's because of the season, but what about "As god is my witness I thought turkeys could fly"?

And as much as it pains me to admit that there was a second Star Trek series I think TRRs certainly crack the top 100.

By Blogger Jambo, at 11:17 AM  

OK, a couple more: The Brady Bunch one is dumb, it should have been "Marsha Marsha Marsha".

And how about "Luuuucy, I'm home!"?

Can't really argue with most of the Seinfeld ones but where is "Not taht there's anything wrong with that" and "These pretzels are making me racist"

By Blogger Jambo, at 12:35 PM  

I hate to say it,but "Can you hear me now?"

By Blogger Robin, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Bush also blamed Al Qaeda for a broken window in a...
  • Time to trade in the Prius?
  • What do you do when the morgue is full?
  • Yup -- me, too
  • You'll shoot your eye out kid!
  • Krugman on FL-13
  • Chaos -- terrible, terrible chaos
  • Republican congress cuts and runs
  • How good are Cohen's contracts?
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!