spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Monday, November 27, 2006

Yup -- me, too

Posted by: Hammer / 12:09 PM

The Wii is a great system for playing games. Happily, it doesn't play Blu-Ray DVDs, act as a media center for your entire block, or use more electricity than an aluminum refinery. It relies quite a bit on human muscle, which leads to this:

I woke up Saturday morning after a Friday filled with at least 10 hours of playing Dragon Ball Z and Raving Rabbids on my Nintendo Wii, and my shoulders hurt like hell. I was sure I had slept wrong or something, since the pain felt similar to a stiff neck. It wasn't until later when I pulled out the Wiimote for some more crazy-haired fighting action that I realized where the pain was coming from. A day of holding my arms out and swinging them around had taken its toll on my poor, neglected muscles. Apparently I am not alone. Wall Street Journal, world renowned for its video game coverage, posted an article on Saturday related the Wii-pain phenomenon, in which Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan addresses the issue.

"It was not meant to be a Jenny Craig supplement," she says. "If people are finding themselves sore, they may need to exercise more."

I really adore the boxing game in Wii Sports. If all goes well, I'll be a "pro" by the end of the day (earned 1000 play points by beating opponents). I could probably play just as well if I practiced limited arm movements. It's more fun to throw a right hook by, well, throwing a right hook, so I'll stick with the full movements and ice the sore spots in the morning.

6 Comments:

You lucky bastard. I want one of those. What games are good?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 PM  

I've been playing a lot of boxing, which is bundled in with the sports. I wouldn't recommend Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz. Call of Duty 3 is good. Zelda is better.

By Blogger Hammer, at 8:38 AM  

I am saying this without any irony - we are entering a digital golden age. TiVo, HD TV, MP3s, the Wii. You could almost make an epic poem out of it all.
Dammit, we may be in an unsolveable mess in Iraq and, well shit, the world may warm up to catasrophic levels - but no matter what, we will be gloriously entertained.

-MM

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 AM  

Wasn't there a book out a while ago called something like Entertaining Ourselves to Death?

By Blogger Jambo, at 11:29 AM  

I didn't think a DVR would affect me much. I was really wrong. What's better than playing the Wii for the first 45 minutes of a college basketball game, then watching the whole game from the start while skipping through commercials and fast forwarding through timeouts? I can watch 2 hours of basketball in 55 minutes. It's like inventing time.

By Blogger Hammer, at 1:14 PM  

Jim, did you get the swordfighting one. I think its called "Red" something.

I am aware that we are a very lucky people to have these entertain options. And we shouldn't lose sight of the thousands that suffer due to our mistakes. But dammit this blog is mostly so somber and serious its good to talk games and entertainment once in awhile.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Krugman on FL-13
  • Chaos -- terrible, terrible chaos
  • Republican congress cuts and runs
  • How good are Cohen's contracts?
  • Stay this course?
  • Redeeming the President, one bike at a time
  • Cables for kids
  • Republicans: Not fit to govern
  • Facts, please: Why were Imams tossed from US Airways?
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!