spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

All those years of undergrad not wasted after all!

Posted by: Jambo / 11:37 AM

Somewhere around my 6th or 7th year of college my father began to worry if I was EVER going to graduate and get a real job. Actually, I bet he started to worry well before that. He had gone to the University of Minnesota, where I was at the time enrolled, back in the 40's and finished an engineering degree for the Navy in 3 1/2 years so my extended plan made little sense to him. But after my eventual graduation it was on to law school, which he found a little more reassuring than I expected. "Law school? Good, there's an actual job associated with that. Right?" As it turns out I was really just making sure I would be around to have the same concerns about my own children, and maybe grandchildren, since it turns out the key a long life span is spending lots of time in school:

The one social factor that researchers agree is consistently linked to longer lives in every country where it has been studied is education. It is more important than race; it obliterates any effects of income.

Year after year, in study after study, says Richard Hodes, director of the National Institute on Aging, education “keeps coming up.”

And, health economists say, those factors that are popularly believed to be crucial — money and health insurance, for example, pale in comparison.

Hmmm, maybe it's time to think about that biology degree I've always wanted. Of course there may be an inverse correlation between education and parental health. I think if I were to announce I was going back to school again it just might do in my father.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

only if he had to pay for it. The misses might not be to happy. stover

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • DWIs in Minnesota -- what's missing from this story?
  • Iran & al Qaeda
  • Meanwhile, Ford adds a larger cupholder in the F150
  • Consumer choice: Cloned food
  • How many years until we retire our debt to China?
  • Thank you President Ford
  • Giving back vacation time
  • Soul Asylum at 1st Ave.
  • NY Times: Here's what the CIA will let you read
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!