spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Office space

Posted by: Jambo / 7:16 PM

With Hammer finally having reached the exalted ranks of middle management I try to picture him in a plush corner office somewhere with leather furniture and a personal secretary to take dictation. (Do people even do dictation any more?) But it also makes me think of my International Law professor when I was doing a summer abroad at the University of Nairobi in Kenya. HIs name was Goth Muigai, he had his LLM from Columbia and sounded much like I would expect John Hausman to sound if he had been raised in East Africa. I don't remember all that much about international law but I will always remember an offhand comment he made. As he was posing a hypothetical situation he said, "Someday you will be meeting with a client in your chambers, and I say chambers because no learned man would work in a mere office..." I often thought of Prof. Muigai as I sat in my cube not long after law school and wondered just what he would think of the situation. I assumed he would have been pretty disappointed in me. (I think the story works best if you can picture his very proper, British inflected voice drawing out "learn-ed" to rhyme, now that I think about, with "they earn it.")

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Don't sweat it. Goti didn't start out in a nice plush corner office. No one does, unless your lucky enough to be bred into it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM  

And by the way, "they earn it" has nothing to do with earning an office, it's just a reference to an old commercial John Hausman did. I've told the story dozens of times but never made the connection to the commercial until this post.

By Blogger Jambo, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Smilin' Norm Coleman: Filibluster!
  • Where am I?
  • Supporting the troops my ass
  • Another three-way race?
  • I hope he won
  • I was unaware of this problem
  • A welcome change, but advertising to kids is still...
  • If he had Libby Mae on staff this sort of thing wo...
  • Oregon Trail: Saying yes to the common good
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!