spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Monday, November 05, 2007

Rock Quiz: 28

Posted by: Hammer / 9:24 AM

I scored 28 on this Rolling Stone rock quiz. I think one of the questions I answered correctly has no correct answer. I'll need a Cure fan to be sure:

Robert Smith wakes up on the weekday he's always in love an takes a 6:15 a.m. train from Chicago to Los Angeles. If his trip is 38 hours long, when will he arrive?

If he leaves Chicago at 6:15 and travels for 38 hours, he should arrive in Los Angeles one day and 14 hours later (Chicago time). That means Smith arrives in Los Angeles at 8:15 p.m., Chicago time, or 6:15 p.m. local time. If Smith is in love on Fridays, then he should arrive Saturday night at 6:15. The "correct answer" is Saturday at 10:15 p.m. Did Rolling Stone get their math wrong? Is there something in the song about trains taking 4 hours extra when Smith is in love? Or should I avoid math/rock quizzes Monday mornings?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Maybe they were trying to go from LA to Chicago, then you would add the 2 hrs to get to 10:15 from 8:15.

Of course, if you know The Cure's back catalog, only 10.15 Saturday Night makes sense.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 AM  

I got a 32, but I'm not proud of that. I expect better of myself.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 AM  

Why does 10:15 Saturday night make sense?

By Blogger Hammer, at 10:30 AM  

It was the B-side on their first single http://www.thecure.com/discography/?AssetID=1091251

and is on 7, yes 7, of their releases. They also play this song live quite regularly. Virtually every show will either end w/ "10.15 Saturday Night" follow by "Killing An Arab," or they'll end with "A Forest."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 PM  

Of course Robert was likely jumpin' someone else's train. I'll go try the quiz now.

By Blogger Jambo, at 1:30 AM  

I got a 37 but I don't know how they actually arrived at the score since I got 28 out of 58 right. I looked at the answers and have to admit only about 17 of them did I truly know, the others were logic or luck. I knew all four Beatle related questions and of course the 'Mats, Cure and REM. On the other hand I had to figure Walk This Way must have been from the line in Young Frankenstein (tho the joke is far older than that) and tho I wouldn't know a Backstreet Boy if they borrowed my comb I did remember some ad campaign about the McLean burger. Tough quiz. Let's wait for LMB's numbers.

By Blogger Jambo, at 2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Who buys this bullshit?
  • Doesn't David Brooks read 3WN?
  • Future politics of healthcare?
  • Voting and income
  • What makes Bob do something like this?
  • Maybe the big name schools aren't doing such a gre...
  • Contraception = death
  • RNC: Lying about Hillary (of course)
  • Are they serious?
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!