spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Friday, December 01, 2006

Movie credits

Posted by: Jambo / 12:23 PM

I went to a movie last night with Libby Mae and our friend Dave ("Stranger Than Fiction" if you must know, Will Ferrell playing it straight for a change and the always adorable Maggie Gyllenhaal) and I was reminded of one of my (many) pet peeves. All three of us are the types that stick around to watch the credits, and we watch them all even tho there are really only a couple things you want to see. You of course want to see the actors, especially if there is someone you recognize but can't quite place. Sometimes you might want to see where it was filmed or find something interesting in the Producer credits (think "State and Main") and some movies you just know are going to have some little treat that pops up when they are all done. But the only other really big one is the music credits, and that's the source of my beef. Everything else--grips, gaffers, makeup artists, best boys, catering, etc.--goes by single file (mostly) until you get to the song credits which are ALWAYS shifted to two columns which means they essentially go by twice as fast as everything else. They are already harder to read than most of the rest because you have to spend a second or two figuring out which title matches the song you are interested in and then figure out which line is the writer and which is the performer, all while it flies by at double speed! Considering that other than the cast this is the only part of the credits people really want to read, why do they make it almost impossible to do so?

And IMDB is no help either. Check out their page for the movie in question. It has nine screens worth of production credits but completely leaves out the song credits. Throw me a bone here people. You let me know that Christian Sprenger was an art department intern for the film but you don't tell me the name of the song playing while Ferrell is reading the story on the bus. OK, I already know it was That's Entertainment by The Jam, but that's not my point. This has bugged me so much and for so long that I even email Roger Ebert to try to get an answer. I'll let you know if I ever hear back, but in the meantime, if anyone has a good explanation for why song credits get such shabby treatment please let me know.

2 Comments:

Thanks for inviting me, BTW

By Blogger Hammer, at 9:24 PM  

Jambo, I am sure you don't realize this but Ms. Gyllenhaal is kind of a regular item on the blog Go Fug Yourself.

My wife just reviewed the below entries for Maggie, or as the fug girls call her, Fuggie. She laughed so hard she practically hyperventilated.
http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/maggie_gyllenhaal/index.html

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Ambush creditors
  • $150 laptop for third-world kids?
  • “I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing”
  • SNL 7, Simpsons 1
  • When I get there I'm going with Origin of Species
  • Bush also blamed Al Qaeda for a broken window in a...
  • Time to trade in the Prius?
  • What do you do when the morgue is full?
  • Yup -- me, too
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!