spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Thursday, July 21, 2005

We don't need no education

Posted by: Jambo / 1:48 PM

From Bob Herbert in today's NYT:

Nationally, only about two-thirds of all students - and only half of all blacks, Latinos and Native Americans - who enter ninth grade graduate with regular diplomas four years later.
High school was a long time ago for me (and don't let Hammer and Libby Mae kid you, it's quite a few years behind them too) so I may be really out of touch. But can this really be true? I was in a class of 179 back at BHS. If we were in school today would 60 of them really not have made it to graduation? That seems incredible.

[Oh, and before he jumps in, D is no spring chicken either, being even older than H and LM even if he is a few years, and a ton of wisdom, behind me.]

3 Comments:

I make no secret of the fact that I'm on the precipe of the long, downhill slide to 40. It's just that by the time I get there, Jambo will be trying to convice everyone in the nursing home cafeteria to listen to Nick Drake.

My graduating class was about 200. We probably had as many deaths (7) as drop outs. There were a handful of kids at the alternative learning center.

That said, I don't think college towns are the best judges of drop out rates. We probably had as many kids graduating with college credit as dropouts.

By Blogger Hammer, at 2:41 PM  

Well, I'm about ten years out of high school, and this was pretty much right on for my school. We had about 300 students in our class but only around 200 of them managed to graduate.

I thought I went to a really bad hick school. I'm surprised and a little frightened to find out that it was only average. Yikes.

By Blogger Smartie, at 8:27 AM  

You can look here for Minnesota drop out rates by school. In 2003-2004, my old district (Northfield High) had 4 dropouts in grades 9-12 out of 1,263 students. The alternate learning center had 13 drop outs out of 80 students.

By Blogger Hammer, at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Smilin' Norm on Roberts
  • A day without Katherine is like...
  • Calling out your own
  • Respect and sincerity
  • Durenberger on Inside Minnesota Politics
  • To be fair
  • The Minnesota GOP confuses me
  • Obviously intoxicated
  • Strib asks Kline to help repeal senseless drug law
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!