spacer

Three Way News

Your Source. For everything. Really.

Contributors

Current Poll

Best comic strip?

  • Bloom County
  • Boondocks
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Dilbert
  • Doonesbury
  • Far Side
  • Foxtrot
  • Get Fuzzy
  • Life in Hell
  • Peanuts
  • Pearls Before Swine
  • Pogo
  • Zippy the Pinhead
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com

Recurring features

Hammer's Favorites

Jambo's Favories

Monday, July 04, 2005

Results are in

Posted by: Hammer / 4:55 PM

We had 39 runners at the Red Wing 10k this morning. I don't know how many of them had colds and were hopped up on heavy doses of pseudoephedrine, but I was. I finished 21st in 47:41. Churchy finished 25th and Gambly finished 30th. I have to admit: passing little brother without about 1.5 miles to go was pretty sweet. He hadn't run for 3 weeks because of an Achilles injury, so we were all fighting something.

I'm paying for my efforts now. My head is stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey and we had to cancel our Fourth of July plans because neither Ms. Hammer nor I feel like moving any further than from the couch to the kitchen and back.

Time to parent. Big Sister Hammer is yelling for help. We went from "I need new sheets" to "I need a new bed" to a "No, really, I need a new everything" in the last 11 seconds. I'm sure it's quite the disaster...

Resolution: Little Sister Hammer expelled a spot of mucus on Big Sister's bed. It's the end of the world.

3 Comments:

Way to go. Good time, too (although if you're anything like me, "good time" from a total stranger is less than useless. I don't know you, your ability, or most importantly your expectations).

The only family member I ever run against is my 71-year-old father, and I don't get any satisfaction out of beating him. I can take him in a 5K or 10K, but I'm pretty sure he could thrash me at any distance over half-marathon.

I've long since stopped worrying about young girls and old men beating me; I just try to finish ahead of the other middle-aged fat guys.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 6:13 PM  

Thanks, Joseph. I was quite surprised at the camraderie of the race. There were two turn around points. As the leaders passed the trailers after each turn around, they were very encouraging. I didn't expect that. The winner, especially, was incredibly gracious after destroying the field.

I've got a feeling that one day I'll be telling my kids, "Yeah, I ran with Richie Mark once. Back in '05." He destroyed the field as a high school junior.

By Blogger Hammer, at 8:44 AM  

camraderie of the race

Yeah, I've found road races to be like that. The last one I ran was mostly an out-and-back, and a number of the top finishers were encouraging us plodders as they whizzed by. I remember the top woman finisher and third overall (who just won the 10,000 and 5,000 meters Division I Independent Nationals) saying something like "way to go!" I thought "why are you wasting your breath on a loser like me? Just run!"

This spring I was running a 10K leg of a marathon relay, and there at the side of the road was Billy Mills(!), cheering us on. That was the closest I've ever come to a runner's high.

By Blogger Joseph Thvedt, at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll

Special Feeds

Fun with Google

Search Tools

Technorati

Google

3WN WWW

Prior posts

  • Pawlenty...good faith?
  • How much did the RNC pay to suppress the vote?
  • Climate Change: We're blinking
  • Headlines
  • Holding the reservation
  • Climate Change: Us against Them
  • Mike Tice: one step further away from the Super Bowl
  • And then there were 8
  • Light blogging today
  • Archives

    • Gone for now

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Get Firefox!